Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

5 Things That MUST Happen in 2013

PAC vs. El Generico
AAPW Main Event
Photo courtesy: Wilkey Photography
By Kevin Hunsperger
@kevinhunsperger & @my123cents on Twitter

2012 was a great year for me personally in the world of professional wrestling.  I had my first (and last match), got to see the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania live in person, and experienced my first two live Chikara shows.

So I've decided to share 5 things that I think need to happen in 2013.  I'm basing my thoughts on the promotions that I regularly watch WWE, Chikara, TNA, and Pro Wrestling Collision.  I was going to include ROH, but I've literally seen one show this year (a live event in Chicago)

Adrian Neville
Photo courtesy: WWE
Adrian Neville needs to make his main roster debut.  For those who don't know him, Adrian Neville is the wrestler formerly known as PAC, and quite honestly one of the hottest prospects in the business.  It was about a year ago that PAC was first brought to my attention.  He and El Generico had been signed to wrestle at AAPW Main Event in January.  Since I would be calling the match I needed to do some research and of course turned to YouTube.  What I saw then amazed me.  Watching him work his magic in person was even more incredible.  In addition to his match against Generico, I was able to see PAC wrestle Low Ki at a Dragon Gate USA show in Miami.

It wasn't long after that I learned that PAC had been signed by WWE.  He's toiling away now in developmental, but with Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, and Big E Langston all being called to the main roster, I'd like to think that others will follow suit in 2013.  There is a lot of talent in NXT, but in my opinion, Neville tops the list.  I know he's new there and the chances of him moving up that quickly may be unrealistic, but with a resume like his, I feel he deserves a spot on the main roster, but I hope he doesn't get moved up and then lost in the shuffle.  Timing will be everything in 2013.

Mr. Touchdown & me
Photo by: My 1-2-3 Cents
Mr. Touchdown needs a shot against Chikara Grand Champion Eddie Kingston.  No doubt about it, 2012 was the year of Mr. Touchdown.  Mark Angelosetti made his debut as the cocky jock in Chikara earlier this year.  He and Dasher Hatfield formed an impressive team as the new Throwbacks.  Then he won the Young Lions Cup championship and had some amazing matches with ACH.  Outside of Chikara, Mr. Touchdown won the Top Banana title in Wrestling is Fun.  He also forced Mixed Martial Archie out of the Chikara and destroyed the mascot of the Handsome and Mysterious Stranger.

It seems that the next logical step would be a shot at the grand championship.  Don't get me wrong, Kingston has had an outstanding year too, holding the title since the end of 2011 when it was created.  Angelosetti has earned a shot at the big belt.  It seems right now he's still tying up the loose ends from the feud with Archie and Veronica.  I'll be curious what happens in the first couple of months of Chikara's new season in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully before the year's end, Touchdown will have at least earned a shot at Kingston.

ODB & Eric Young as Knockouts Tag Team Champs
Photo courtesy: TNA
TNA needs to do away with the Knockouts Tag Team titles.  I'll admit, I don't watch a whole lot of TNA at this point, but seriously the Knockouts Tag Team titles lost their luster a long time ago.  A company the size (and TV exposure) of TNA doesn't need six champions.  I'm not knocking female wrestling with this either, but really adding Eric Young into the championship picture in my opinion made the belts a laughing stock.  If TNA was serious about intergender wrestling, then I could get behind this idea.  It's something that's being done on the indy scene on a pretty regular basis, so it's not unheard of to do.

Bull Bronson vs. Justice
AAPW Summer Chaos
Photo courtesy: Bullbronson.com
Bull Bronson needs a shot at the Pro Wrestling Collision title.  Pro Wrestling Collision makes its debut on January 19, and already I'm calling for Bull Bronson to have his spot in the sun.  In All American Pro Wrestling, Bronson was the company's most dominate performer.  He went through everyone he faced, even in handicap matches.  He took out big names like Farmer Billy Hills, Justice, and the wildly popular (and larger) Mississippi Madman.  The next step for Bronson would be a title match.  He has an open challenge set for the January 19 inaugural show, so I'll be curious to see who's brave enough to step up to the plate.

Besides all the competition he's mowed over in AAPW, Bronson made it to the finals of the 7 Deadly Sins Deathmatch Tournament in Chaos Pro Wrestling.  Seeing the pictures from that event proved to me that Bronson is without a doubt a legit bad ass, but really I already knew that.  Bull is also a former NWA Midsouth Heavyweight champion as well.  2013 looks to be a promising year for this still rising star.

Christian Rose & Matt Cage
Photo courtesy: Jason Wilkey
Indy guys need to be recognized more for their efforts.  This is more of a blanket statement. I think 2012 proved that the rising stars on the indy scene have a place with the big boys.  Heath Hatton and Ace Hawkins appeared on WWE Extreme Rules as Jay Hatton and Aaron Relic in a squash with Ryback.  Sure, it was a squash match, but it meant a lot to these guys and their fans to have their names in the spotlight briefly.

I want more indy talent to get a shot on the national scene.  Besides Hatton and Hawkins, guys like Matt Cage, Christian Rose, Brandon Espinosa, Joey O'Riley, Bull Bronson, Alex Castle, The Great Cheyenne, and Angelus Layne all deserve a chance to shine on the national stage.  As Chikara continues to grow in popularity, I'm hoping some of these guys can find a place with the company.  Of course as more NXT guys get called up to the main WWE roster, it'll create openings there as well.  Indy wrestling is the lifeline for the national scene.  It's time for all of us to start supporting these men and women more often.



 

2 comments:

  1. Creating a blog can appear difficult for many people, even though for some individuals it's an simple process. Nevertheless, a very important factor that everybody shares in common is that they are searching for ways to improve their blog and attain increased achievement.Casual Shoes men

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very instructional content material and written nicely for a exchange. it is first-class to look that a few humans still recognize the way to write a fine publish! Return Man Online

    ReplyDelete