Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

The Kevin HunsBurger

That's a thick burger!
By Kevin Hunsperger
@kevinhunsperger on Twitter

With a last name like Hunsperger, I was the target of lots of interesting variations growing up.  One that always seemed to stick was Hamburger.  Since I've always enjoyed hamburgers, the name never bothered me.  Little did I know back in my elementary school days that I'd actually have a hamburger named after me.

For about a year now I have joined my friends from News 3 This Morning for a weekly trip to Crossroads Coffee Company in Carterville.  Don't let the name fool you though.  There's more than lattes, cappuccinos, and coffee brewing there.  Crossroads has a complete breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu.  There are burgers, soups, chicken wraps and more.  Since most of us get up at 2 a.m. or earlier, we all usually opt for lunch at 9 a.m. as opposed to the tradition omelets, waffles, or bagels the restaurant also sells.

We hit Crossroads every Friday, and depending on the week, we may go another day as well.  We've all dined there on our own too and I think it's safe to say it's "our place".  The management and staff are always very inviting and accommodating to our large (and often loud) group.  Oh, before I go any further, I am not in any way being compensated by Crossroads or anyone else for that matter.  As the blog name suggests, this is just My 1-2-3 Cents (even though I'm not writing about wrestling today)

I'm on a menu! So cool.
On a recent trip to Crossroads, a joke was made by one of my coworkers (I believe it was Kristin) that they should name a hamburger after me.  We all had a good laugh and as we were leaving, the owner Dan, called me to the cash register and asked if I'd be willing to have my name put on a burger.  I was absolutely ecstatic by the news.  Later that evening, he sent me a message on Facebook explaining what the sandwich would consist of and asked me what charity I would like to donate a portion of the proceeds to.  Again, I was flattered and humbled by this.  I picked the American Cancer Society, so now when someone orders the burger, two dollars will go to this fine organization.

On January 4 the big reveal was made.  I actually had the first ever Kevin HunsBurger.  They hadn't even done a test run of it.  Let me tell you it was awesome.  So, what's on it?  It's 8 ounces of Angus beef.  The patty is topped with lettuce, tomatoes, homemade chili (which includes BACON), jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and waffle fries.  It's an extremely thick burger.  I've already gotten some ribbing that as the health reporter I should endorse such a hearty burger.  Well, as I always include in my Food for Thought and Eat This, Not That reports, moderation is the key.

Two thumbs up!
Couldn't put it down for the second.
I was honored to have most of my friends from work there on the first day of the new treat.  Most of them ordered the burger (some had to split it with others because it's pretty darn big)  The meal is $10, with two going to the ACS.  I like the work they do in our area, and I really wanted to help them out.  There are plenty of wonderful organizations here locally, so picking one was difficult.

Of course, I'm bias, but I think the burger is delicious.  It's also very filling since it is topped with two different sides (the chili and waffle fries).  So if you're in the area, I would highly suggest the Kevin HunsBurger. Not only does eating one help support the American Cancer Society, but also a small business in our community.

If you do try one, please let me know what you think.







3 comments:

  1. that is awesome Kevin! Way to be! - Bill F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write-up Kevin. I'm looking forward to getting down there and getting elbow deep into a Kevin HunsBurger!

    Carpe Quisine,
    JimRhino

    ReplyDelete